Skip to content

Font size: A A A Contrast: C C

Home > Resources > Young People & Students

Young People & Students

As a service we see individuals from:

  • 18 years old and above.
  • 16-18 years old if you are not in full time education.

You can be referred by your GP or you can book yourself on one of our courses online. Or phone our admin line on 01225 675150 to book a one-to-one appointment with one of our practitioners.


Coping with Stress in Life or at College or University

Stress is a natural feeling, designed to help you cope in challenging situations. In small amounts it’s good, because it pushes you to work hard and do your best. Stress heightens the senses and your reaction time, which means it, can enhance your performance, including in exams.

Leaving home to start at college or university means lots of big changes, such as moving to a new area, being separated from friends and family, establishing a new social network, managing on a tight budget and starting your studies.

These changes can be exciting but they can feel overwhelming and can affect your health.


The first signs of stress can be:

  • irritability
  • sleep problems
  • dry mouth
  • churning stomach
  • palpitations (pounding heart)
  • sweating
  • shortness of breath

Too much stress can lead to physical and psychological problems, such as:

  • anxiety (feelings ranging from uneasiness to panic)
  • depression


Self-help stress tips

Short periods of stress are normal and can often be resolved by doing something such as completing a task (and thus reducing your workload), or by talking to others and taking time to relax. One or more of the following suggestions might help:

  • Assess exactly what in your life is making you anxious. For example, is it exams, money or relationship problems? See if you can change your circumstances to ease the pressure you’re under.
  • Try to have a more healthy lifestyle. Eat well, get enough sleep, exercise regularly, cut down on alcohol and spend some time socialising as well as working and studying.
  • Try not to worry about the future or compare yourself with others.
  • Learn to relax. If you have a panic attack or are in a stressful situation, try to focus on something outside yourself, or switch off by watching TV or chatting to someone.
  • Relaxation and breathing exercises may help.
  • Try to resolve personal problems by talking to a friend, tutor, your college or university counselling support or someone in your family.


Mental health problems are as common among students as they are in the general population.

One in four of us will experience a mental health problem each year.

Starting College and University can be a stressful experience. How you cope with the stress can be the key to whether or not it develops into a health problem.


If you feel persistently unhappy or that you can no longer cope, don’t keep it a secret. Telling someone how you feel, whether it’s a friend, counsellor or doctor, may bring an immediate sense of relief.

Initially, it’s a good idea to talk to someone you trust, such as a friend, member of your family or a tutor. This is especially important if your academic performance is being affected. Many mild mental health problems can be resolved this way; many will also resolve themselves and many can be helped by seeing someone who is professionally trained.


Many colleges and most universities have a free and confidential in-house counselling service, with professionally qualified counsellors and psychotherapists, that you can access.

You can usually find information about what they offer and how to make an appointment in the counselling service section of your university’s website. This free service in universities is available to postgraduates as well as undergraduates.

Many student unions also offer student-led services. Although the students involved aren’t qualified counsellors, you may prefer to talk about problems such as stress and depression with another student.


Please be aware that due to the transient nature of student life, which often involves travelling to and from University throughout the year it may be difficult for services to meet your needs as they operate in local areas. It might be the case that shorter forms of support are likely to be offered such as self-help guides and courses based on cognitive behavioural therapy. It may also be possible to stay with a service when you travel home for holidays and re-access support when you return to university. In most cases to access mental health services at University you will need to be registered at a local GP practice. Remember that University mental health services are separate from NHS Mental health services.


Bath Spa University – Emotional and Mental Health Support

University of Bath – Counselling and Mental Health

Bath College – Counselling Service


There are also online self-help services that you may like to explore which are listed below:


NHS Moodzone Audio Guides – For audio guides on how to manage Anxiety, Depression and low self-confidence.

NHS Livewell Exam Sense– For tips on managing exam stress.

Psychology Tools – For information and support for mental health problems using Cognitive Behavioural Therapy.

Centre for Clinical Intervention  – For free self-help PDF modules for a range of mental health problems such as depression and anxiety


If you feel you are in need of more urgent support contact your GP, Samaritans or Emergency Services.